Just as food is fuel for body to work; it’s also serves as the fuel that significantly affects your concentration. Food has the incredible ability to sharpen and focus to enhance memory, attention span and focus.
Following are some of the ‘smart’ foods to include in your diet to improve your concentration power.
- Walnut : looks like a tiny brain; it is rich in antioxidants which fight against free radical damage to the brain cells’ DNA helping you to concentrate better.
- Dark chocolate : best food to consume while studying. It has the powerful antioxidant properties and natural stimulants like caffeine which enhances mental alertness. Dark chocolate contains magnesium, which helps you de-stress, and it also stimulates the release of endorphins and serotonin, which make you feel good and heighten your mood.
- Green tea : it also contains caffeine that improves focus and alertness. It also contain l’theanine which increases ‘alpha wave activity’, which increases tranquility and releases caffeine more slowly, instead of all at once, which can lead to you crashing. Both together produce a better ability to focus attention, with improvement of both speed and accuracy.
- Coffee : a cup of hot coffee will enhance your focus, energy and concentration while studying. (Though too much of a coffee isn’t good for health)
- Sugar : is brain’s preferred fuel source. Glucose from sugar and carbs offer short term boost to memory, thinking and mental ability.
- Avocados : enhance blood flow to the brain. They are also loaded with fibers which helps keep hunger pangs at bay.
- Nuts and seeds : good sources of the antioxidant vitamin E, which is associated with less cognitive decline as you age. They’re also rich with essential oils and amino acids that aid your focus.
- Fish : rich in omega-3 fatty acids which aid memory, mental performance and behavioral function. It has also been proven to improve your concentration and mood.
- Bananas : contain vitamin B6 and potassium which aids in the body’s production of serotonin, norepinephrine and dopamine. These three elements all help in concentration.
- Carrots : help reduce inflammation and restore memory. Luteolin presentin carrots help decrease memory loss and boost overall brain health.
- Blue berries : it is a ‘brain’ food. Blueberries protect the brain from oxidative stress and have found to improve learning capacity and motor skills.
- Water : gives the brain the electrical energy for all brain functions, including thought and memory processes, and it has been proven to help you think faster, be more focused, and experience greater clarity and creativity.
A well balanced diet is crucial for brain health. If your diet lacks essential nutrients, it can hamper your concentration. Eating too much or too little can also interfere in your ability to focus. A heavy meal can make you tired and drowsy while consuming too little calories can result in hunger pangs.
In addition to well balanced diet, experts also offer the following advice:
- Get a good night’s sleep.
- Stay hydrated.
- Exercise to help sharpen your thinking.
- Meditate to clear thinking and relax.
These are some of the preferred ways to enhance your concentration. What do you do to improve your concentration? Do let us know in comment section below.
Until Next Time.